Researching and Catching Up

Wow.  Where did that time go?  I’ve finally found my way back to my website to update a little.

Thanks to my wonderful friends and family, Christmas and birthday saw me all kitted out for a year of creativity.  I received some great presents including books (Making Cushion Covers by Debbie Shore and Prints by Heather Ross) and beautiful fabric, some of which was designed by my husband and printed by Spoonflower.

4-IMG_1048

Christmas and birthday pressies

I was itching to get going.  Then, head brimming with ideas, I did my usual trick of getting stuck at the research stage.

So my resolution to write at least one blog post a month went to pot, even though I seemed to be spending an eternity on the laptop. This time it wasn’t trawling through pages of gorgeous printed fabric that was distracting me.  It was researching other things. As usual, small ideas became quite complex as I entered the world of Google, and the simple task of ordering a few bits and bobs became quite an ordeal, albeit interesting.

Here is a list of some of the things I was researching:

  • Stuffing for soft toys (something a little more organic please than that wretched polyester stuff you get in bags at craft shops)
  • Absorbent and soft fabrics to use for bibs which would make life that little bit more comfortable for babies with their oh so sensitive skin
  • Softer than soft fabrics for baby/toddler blankets and comforters.

All of these things needed to be researched and ordered before I could get on and ‘make’ – one of the frustrating necessities of this game!  I will share what I found in future posts.  But for now, suffice to say I did find more or less what I was looking for.

Once the fabric and stuffing had arrived (yay!) I got busy with making:  a selection of baby comforters, baby/toddler blankets, bibs and tabard style wipe clean aprons.  Then came more little softies; some seasonal Snuggle Chicks and, a new line for the Tinny Tinies range, Sleepy Sheep.

3-IMG_1022

4-IMG_0574

 


22-IMG_0242-002

14-IMG_0622

07-IMG_0720

 I have since held a stall at two more craft fayres – Over the Moon Baby and Toddler Fayre at Shoreham, and MArKEt at The Old Palace in Tarring, Worthing.  Both events were very enjoyable and I met plenty of interesting and like-minded people.  Now I just need to get myself booked in for some more events.

I’ve also been spending time getting myself set up with a Facebook page and keeping my Etsy shop well stocked.  So much to do but all good fun!  So all in all pretty busy.  Thanks for reading.  Will be back with more soon!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aprons

Those fun floury moments when baking with a toddler can become quite frequent.  We needed aprons!  Another excuse to get the sewing machine out.

I found some cotton canvas with an adorable elephant print which would be great for the project.

Pinning pattern to fabric

Ready to sew

After cutting out the fabric I stitched all around the edges to prevent fraying.  The preparation took some time but it was worth it for peace of mind that the apron won’t all fall to pieces.  Every edge was double folded and pressed before stitching.

Zigzag stitching around edges

Additional extras were a small strip of fabric along the top edge of the apron for practical, reinforcement purposes and a little pocket, purely for keeping all kinds of treasures safe.

Reinforcement

Pocket

The neck strap was sewn in with the reinforcement strip and the ties with the sides of the apron.  The pocket was added last of all with the label being sewn in at the same time.

Label – finishing touch!

The finished apron

The trouble with this apron, as I find with all aprons, was that the neck strap was just that little bit too long, resulting in a gaping front.  I wanted to keep the longer strap though as it was comfortable to put the apron on.  No child appreciates something tight being pulled over their head and having their noses squished in the process!  What it needed was a popper, otherwise known as a snap fastener.  Then once the apron was on comfortably, the top half could be lifted to allow a better fit.

I did consider using a D-ring but although D rings are fully adjustable, in my experience they tend to slip and need constant readjustment.  Not always that practical with floury or gooey hands.  The snap fastener on the other hand takes one pop and stays firmly in place.   So I invested in a great little gadget (another one of those things that you just never knew existed until you need one) and here is the result.

I then discovered more beautiful medium weight fabrics that I just had to buy.  As a result I have plenty of aprons to sell or to give away as presents.