Beautifully soft double gauze.  Super cute print. The decision didn’t lie in whether I bought it or not.  Of course I had to buy it.  I just had to decide what to make with it.

As my son was struggling to sleep in the muggy British summertime I thought what better than to make a cool summer quilt.  I chose 100% cotton batting and 100% cotton backing to make it as breathable as possible.

I cut the material to size and pinned all three layers together.  The new table came in very handy!

Next I stitched through the layers in vertical strips from top to bottom.  It was important to start in the middle and work outwards. The gauze in particular was very stretchy and prone to puckering.  There was admittedly some unpicking and resewing to start with but in the end a little puckering actually gave the quilt an air of tradition.

Once the vertical lines had been sewn I sewed all around the edge of the quilt using zig zag stitch.  This was both to stop the edges from fraying (I discovered that double gauze loves to fray) and also to hold it all together for the final step.

The final step of bias binding. A lot of tight pulling and slow stitching later the quilt was finally finished.

Night night!





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *